Can My Employer Force Me To Return To Work After An Injury?

After you have been involved in an accident at work, you will probably need to take time off so that you can fully recover. However, due to the labor shortage, your employer might want you to return to work as soon as possible. It's important to speak with both your doctor and a workers' compensation attorney about whether this is a good idea. 

What to Do After an Accident

When you are injured at work, you are required to notify your employer and you will then need to receive medical treatment for your injuries. You must then communicate with your employer regularly so that they know how you are recovering and when you will be able to return to work.

What You Need to Tell Your Employer

If your employer wants you to return to work, you can simply tell them that your doctor is not allowing you to return. Then your employer will know that you haven't abandoned your job and will prepare for when you are able to return to work.

How to Return to Work

Your company will likely have a procedure by which you can return to work. It's important to know what this procedure is so that you can do so in the right way and so that everything can be done smoothly.

However, your employer might want you to return to work regardless of what your doctor says. If this is the case, your employer might place pressure on you too and may even look for ways to retaliate. This might be against the law and it's important to consult with a workers' compensation attorney if you are being threatened with retaliation.

When to Speak to an Attorney

If you are planning on engaging in legal retaliation, it's important to get started as soon as possible. There is often a statute of limitations and failing to take legal action quickly enough can jeopardize your case. 

What to Do If Your Employer Fires You

Your employer might consider letting you go and there are some situations where they are allowed to do so. For example, if they must fill the position and would face hardship if they were not able to do so, they have the right to replace you with another employee. However, if you believe that you are being fired in retaliation for filing a claim, a workers' compensation attorney will help you determine if you have a case.

Contact a local law firm, such as Hosmer & Wise PC, to learn more.