Do You Want To Live Permanently In The United States?

Have you already been living in the United States for awhile? For example, maybe you have been here as a college student. Or, it might be that you have been visiting friends or family members who live in the USA. Perhaps you have left your home country because you no longer felt that it was a safe place to live, or because the economy was in serious problems. In that case, maybe you felt it would be very wise to move your entire family to the United States of America.

No matter the scenario, do you already have a firm plan? If so, you are probably not interested in reading any further. On the other hand, maybe you are still looking for help. If that's the case, from finding an immigration lawyer to establishing yourself in your new country, here are some ideas that might be helpful.

Find An Immigration Attorney - The first thing on your list will probably be to find an attorney who practices immigration law. Find out how long the attorney has been practicing this particular type of law. By doing so, you can have the peace of mind that he or she will have the training and the experience to address your particular situation. 

For example, were you born to an American mother while she was living in a foreign country? Maybe you have married an American person. Or, it might be that you have no ties whatsoever to the United States, except your desire to live here permanently. You'll want to be very specific about your background and about your concerns so that your attorney can help you effectively.

Of course, you'll need to find out about the attorney's fees. However, there's more to deciding on which attorney you'll use. For example, how will he or she communicate with you. Has your experience of waiting for a return call been reasonable? Did the attorney return your call, your text or your email in, say twenty-four hours? Will your attorney need an interpreter? If so, do you feel comfortable dealing with that individual? Contact an attorney like Cristina Chávez, Attorney at Law, LLC to get started.

​Establish Yourself In Your New Community - While it might be tempting to seek out only those who are also from your home country, consider branching out. By doing so, you can be a bigger part of your new home country.

For example, brush up on your new language by attending English classes. You'll probably find free classes at local schools or at your public library. Find people who enjoy the same things you do. For example, if you enjoy arts and crafts, find classes where you will meet others who also enjoy them. Do your children want to be part of a sports team? While they will probably have that opportunity right at school, consider also getting them onto a city league. In other words, every chance you have to experience life in the United States, go for it.